If you’re looking for a recipe to impress, this “Meaty” Mushroom Eggplant Rollatini is it.
It might seem a little intimidating but, trust me, it looks fancy but it’s not that hard to make.
I felt pretty accomplished when I first made it! Even though I cook a lot, I like to keep things simple because, you know, we’re all busy with life.
For this recipe, I basically took the ingredients for my eggplant lasagna and rolled it up.
All you need is eggplant, tofu ricotta or a store-bought, dairy-free ricotta, mushroom “meat” and sauce.
Then, just build layers on the eggplant slices, roll it up, put it in a casserole dish with the sauce and bake!
When picking a sauce, make sure to read the ingredients.
A lot of sauces have added sugar and oils that aren’t needed for a good marinara sauce.
This rollatini is a healthier Italian eggplant dish since it’s baked and not fried.
Also, not using regular cheese helps keep the calories, saturated fat and cholesterol down.
Eggplant and mushrooms are great meat replacements as they make dishes extra hearty!
They’re both packed with disease fighting nutrients and are a great source of fiber, which will keep you feeling fuller longer and help improve digestion!
To see me make this step-by-step go to my Instagram profile and look for 🍆 Rollatini in the highlights section.
"Meaty" Mushroom Eggplant Rollatini
- Preheat your oven to 415F. With a mandolin or knife, slice the eggplant lengthwise into thin strips. Maybe 1/4-1/2 inch thick. Salt each side and allow them to sit at least 15 minutes to remove excess water.
- Now is a good time to make the Ricotta if you're not using store-bought. *NOTE: If you're making my tofu ricotta recipe: it needs to be mixed in the food processor to make a creamy spread.After the eggplant slices have sat with the salt, wipe them off and make sure they are completely dry. I use a clean dish towel for this. Put them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake them for about 15 minutes. They should be turning brown. Remove them from oven and set aside. Don't turn oven off yet.
- Then, add chopped mushrooms to the skillet. Mix in cumin, oregano and salt and pepper. Sauté everything for another 3-5 minutes. Move the mushroom meat to a strainer and drain any liquid from the pan.
Assemble the rolls
- In a medium to large casserole dish, spread about half of the marinara sauce on the bottom. Now assemble the eggplants by first spreading a thick layer of the ricotta on the eggplant slices. Top that with a layer of the mushroom meat. You should use all the mushroom meat up. Roll the eggplants up, one by one, and place seam side down in the dish. Once you have them all in, spread marinara sauce over the top, down the middle.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes. The top might start to brown or sauce bubbling just a little. Allow to cool for 5-10 before serving. Top with chopped basil and vegan parmesan if you like.