This Eggplant Lasagna is filled with plant-protein making it a hearty and healthy meal. It’s meat and dairy-free, but still filled with loads of flavor. Eggplant is a great substitute for noodles and comes with lots of health benefits. They help reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, they protect cells from damage by free radicals and even help control weight gain.
I’m part Italian and lasagna has always been one of my favorite dishes so I made sure that this healthy version still had the scrumptiousness of my grandmother’s recipe. I used my Tofu Ricotta Cheese recipe in this and made mushroom meat similar to what I used for my No Beef Sloppy Joe’s.
This lasagna pairs well with a caesar salad. My family loves this new way to make an old family favorite. Another bonus is it doesn’t put you into a food coma like a lot of Italian dishes. After this one, you’ll be full but still feel great. If you’re cooking for only one or two, store the leftovers in the freezer for later!
- Preheat your oven to 375F.
- With a mandolin, slice the eggplant lengthwise into thin strips. Put them in a bowl & splash with balsamic vinegar & let marinate while you prepped the rest.
- Make the Tofu Ricotta (link in blog post)
- **MUSHROOM MEAT***
- Pulse mushrooms in a blender or food processor until they are chopped up.
- In a skillet over medium-low heat, sauté the garlic and chopped onions until onions are translucent. Use splashes of water to keep them from sticking instead of oil.
- Then add chopped mushrooms to skillet of sautéed onions and garlic.
- Mix in Cumin, Oregano and pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté everything for another 3-5 min - mushrooms will start to look like ground beef
- Drain any liquid from the mushroom meat in a strainer
- I used 11x8x3 pan, but it should work in something close to that size like 9x9
- Oil or spread a thin layer of marinara sauce on the bottom of the pan
- Then layer eggplant slices followed by the Tofu Ricotta.
- Add the Mushroom Meat on top of Ricotta followed by a thin layer of marinara sauce.
- Repeat the layers, topping it all off with a final layer of eggplant slices, marinara and vegan shredded mozzarella.
- Bake in the oven, uncovered, for 40 minutes
- Allow to cool for 5 - 10 min and then serve! Goes great with my Caesar dressing on Romaine Lettuce as a side
BENEFITS OF THIS RECIPE:
- Lower in calories, fat and cholesterol than regular lasagne
- Full of Fiber, Iron, Calcium, Vitamin D and other important vitamins and minerals for optimal health
- Helps reduce blood pressure and stress
- Boosts your immune system