Sloppy Joe's was a childhood favorite of mine. I've been wanting to recreate it and it's way better than I remembered… Even without beef!
I'm visiting my mom right now and it's the perfect recipe to test with her since she was the one who made it for me growing up. We used mushrooms and walnuts for the base that made the best faux ground beef. It's still sloppy and moist that would fool the normal meat lover. Oh, for those who don't like mushrooms, you can't taste them at all!
Make sure not to over pulse the walnuts and mushrooms. You want them to be chopped and blended together, but still have some texture. Over pulsing could make it mushy and you don't want that. This mixture seems like a lot, but it reduces down once it's heated in the skillet.
After you get everything mixed together in the skillet, make sure to taste so it's seasoned to your liking. Add any more of the seasonings if you'd like. I didn't use salt, but some might want that. If you don't have all of these seasonings, I have seen Simple Organic's Sloppy Joe packets at Whole Foods. That would work too, I just prefer to use the individual spices.
I enjoy this on lettuce leaves or Ezekiel Bread. A common household favorite turned nutritious! Below the recipe you find the great benefits of eating it this way!
No Beef Sloppy Joe's
- First get all of the seasonings ready. This isn't meat so you don't have to cook it for long on the stove. Then pulse the mushrooms and walnuts in the food processor and set aside.
- In a medium skillet sauté add 1/2 of the chopped onions and garlic for 3 - 4 min. Then add in the mushroom and walnut mixture and stir together. Once that's done, add in all the seasonings, tomato paste, tamari, rest of the onions and water mixing it all together.
- Stir everything until heated through. Be sure to taste it. If you need to adjust the seasonings do so before serving. It can be eaten on a bun or lettuce cups. Enjoy!
BENEFITS OF THIS RECIPE:
- Boosts your metabolism and immune system
- Great source of Vitamin B and D from the Mushrooms
- Reduces the risk of certain Cancers
- Packed with Omega 3's and Antioxidants
- Helps decrease stress levels