Store-bought cleaners are filled with chemicals that can affect on our respiratory health, hormones and cause other health issues.
I haven't talked a lot about this on the blog, but if you watch my Instagram stories you know I'm all about non-toxic cleaning products.
I've shown you a couple of non-toxic store-bought cleaning alternatives, but here's how to make your own because it's just so easy and you only need a couple of ingredients!
It's actually easier than cooking and definitely takes less time than most prep for a recipe so I know you can do it!
DIY Non-Toxic Cleaners Are Better
1. They're a lot cheaper than store-bought cleaners!
2. It's better for your health and the environment.
3. You know exactly what's going in it.
Unfortunately there's a lot of marketing for products that claim to be “more natural” and “less toxic” but still have harmful ingredients. These two cleaners here are made with ingredients that you might already have in your pantry!
The first DIY recipe I have below is for a 3 Ingredient All Purpose Cleaner. This one is vinegar based which is one of my favorite things to clean and kill germs with. We can eat vinegar as you probably know so it's about as least toxic as you can get while still fighting the scum in our bathrooms and floors! The one place you don't want to use it is on marble or granite surfaces. They don't mix well with vinegar.
But you can use this second recipe for Granite and Marble and as an all purpose cleaner as well! It only has 4 ingredinets and also does a great job killing the germs with out putting toxins in you!
To give it a nice smell I recommend using esseicital oils or fresh herbs.
The majority of store-bought cleaners (even ones that claim to be non-toxic) have synthetic fragrances which are endocrine disruptors and can cause imbalance in hormones, among other health issues. They’ve also shown to suppress the immune system after long term use so that's why it's much better to make your own without it or look for fragrance free products.
I usually remove the herbs 3-5 days after making the solutions because they can turn brown, but the scent should have been absorbed.
3 Ingredient All-Purpose Cleaner
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Distilled White Vinegar
- 15-20 drops Essential Oil (or fresh herbs, citrus peels)
- Add all the ingredients to a spray bottle. I prefer a glass one like this. Gently mix together. This spray can be used on everything except marble or granite. Vinegar should not be used on either of those surfaces. If using fresh herbs I recommend removing them 3-5 days after as the solution will have had enough time to absorb the scent.
4 Ingredient Granite and Marble Cleaner
- ¼ cup Rubbing Alcohol
- 1 ½ cup Water
- 3 tsp Castile Soap
- Fresh herbs or essentail oils (for scent)
- Add all the ingredients to a spray bottle. I prefer a glass one like this. Gently mix together. It can be used as an all-purpose too, but specifically good for granite or marble. If using fresh herbs I recommend removing them 3-5 days after as the solution will have had enough time to absorb the scent.