Did you know hibiscus tea actually has more antioxidants than green tea? Well it does, and honestly it tastes a lot better too. This Basil Hibiscus Lemonade makes it even tastier, plus adds even more health benefits. One study showed that two strong cups of hibiscus tea each day lowered blood pressure better than a leading drug.
I am not the biggest fan of drinking just straight hot tea. I like to have a little sweetness and flavor added to it. And who is fond of drinking hot drinks in the summer time? That’s why I’m loving this hibiscus lemonade so much. It’s perfect because it keeps you cool, hydrated and it’s packed with antioxidants and detoxing properties. It tastes a lot better than those flavored water recipes, and it’s so much better for you than any lemonade you will find in the store.
It is so easy to make. Just brew three cups of hot water and steep 3 bags of hibiscus tea. Once it’s cooled a little bit, combine the tea, lemon juice, basil and sweetener of choice in a blender and blend. Date sugar or coconut sugar are good options. You can even just blend dates in it. I like serving it over ice with a little lemon zest on top. It can be stored in the fridge up to three days. It might get a little foamy after blending but it quickly settles out. I prefer using this hibiscus tea.
Its bright red color makes it fun to serve at parties. People will be drinking something great for their health and not even realize it because it tastes so good. This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled.
- 3 cups of water
- 3 Hibiscus tea bags
- ¼ cup Basil, packed
- 3 tbsp of sweetener like date sugar, coconut sugar or sweetener of choice (you can also use 3-5 dates)
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Lemon Zest (optional for topping)
- Boil three cups of water to add to three bags of hibiscus tea and steep.
- Once it's cooled, combine the tea, basil, sweetener and lemon juice in a blender and blend.
- Taste to see if you need to adjust the sweetness or the lemon/basil flavor. Serve immediately over ice or keep in fridge for up to three days.
- You can top it with lemon zest if you prefer.
- *NOTE: After the blending it will have some foam on top. Just allow it to sit for a couple of minutes and it will dissolve.