Most pesto sauces can be extremely unhealthy as they contain a ton of oil and saturated fat. This Skinny Oil-Free Pesto not only contains a wealth of health benefits but also doesn’t sacrifice any flavor. It’s nut-free and contains only raw, fresh ingredients. Pesto is one of the easiest sauces to make because you just throw a few ingredients in the food processor or blender and you’re done. You only need about 10 minutes for this one.
I first shared this recipe on the blog a couple of years ago as a sauce for these Jicama Pizzas. Being a food blogger I rarely repeat a lot of the recipes because I’m always trying to create something new. I recently made this skinny pesto to use on a pasta dish and it was so good I just knew I had to share it again. It not only goes well with pasta, but you could use it on pizza or even as a dip for veggies or pita.
This pesto is completely guilt-free as you’ll benefit from all the ingredients used in it. It’s not a pesto sauce that will pack on the pounds either. Basil actually helps you detox and can help relax the body. Avocado is one of the best healthy fats you can eat, plus it helps balance hormones. Garlic contains anti-cancer properties and nutritional yeast contains a wealth of B-vitamins that are good for the body.
Since all the ingredients are fresh and raw, it’s best to consume this pesto within one to three days of making it. You can store in the freezer to keep it longer.
- Large Handful of Basil
- 1 Zucchini, chopped
- ½ Avocado
- 3 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 5-7 Garlic Cloves (I like a lot of garlic so you might want less)
- 3 tsp Lemon Juice
- ¼ - ½ cup Water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- First add garlic cloves in a blender or food processor and blend a few seconds until they're chopped.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Taste to make sure you don't want to adjust any of the ingredients. It can come out pretty thick so add more water if you want to thin it out. Add it to pasta, pizza or use as a dip.
- Keep in fridge for 1 - 3 days or store it in the freezer for longer.