I love coming up with creative recipes that keep me from getting bored with the average dish. Not that pizza needs to be spruced up, but using jicama for a crust, one of my cheeses and this pesto recipe, makes a much healthier version.
This isn't your normal pesto hence the name – Superfied Skinny Pesto. The main difference is it's oil-free making it less caloric than other pesto recipes. It's more of a creamy sauce, but still explodes with basil and garlic flavor! There are way more health benefits from this one as I've bumped up the nutrition with some chlorella!
The flavor doesn't change if you were to leave the chlorella out, but it's a nutrient-dense superfood that contains 18 amino acids (including all the essential amino acids), and other vitamins and minerals so why not add it in! It's also great to add in smoothies.
Chlorella is a powerful detoxifier that aids in removing harmful toxins and free radicals from the body that have been linked to cancer. It's also been shown to improve energy as well as helping to control blood sugar and blood pressure levels.
With the busy lives lead today, the majority of people do not get the proper nutrition from their diet. Adding chlorella in your daily routine is an easy way to boost your intake of essential nutrients needed for optimal health.
Now just because you add chlorella doesn't mean you can stop eating as many veggies. The majority of our produce isn't as nutrient-rich as it was years ago because of depleted soil and that's why it's important to eat a lot of produce throughout each day. This recipe is another way to do it deliciously!
Superfied Skinny Pesto is good on pizza, pasta or dipped with veggies like tomatoes, peppers and celery.
SUPERFIED SKINNY PESTO (OIL & NUT FREE)
- Large Handful of Basil
- 1 Zucchini chopped
- 1/2 Avocado
- 3 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 5-7 Garlic Cloves I like a lot of garlic so you might want less
- 3 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup Water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- First add garlic cloves in a blender or food processor and blend a few seconds until they're chopped.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy
- Taste to make sure you don't want to adjust any of the ingredients.
- It comes out pretty thick so add more water if you want to thin it out
- Keep in fridge for 1 - 2 days or freeze it for longer
- *****To make these min jicama pizza - Cut jicama into circles, top with pesto and other toppings you prefer. You can eat it raw or heat in the oven for a few minutes until it's warmed. Pretty easy!
BENEFITS OF THIS RECIPE:
- Very detoxifying from the basil and chlorella
- Filled with Anti-aging properties
- Reduces the risk of heart disease and stroke
- Promotes on overall sense of well-being