This chili is hearty, filling and only takes about 15 minutes of prep time. It’s a perfect weeknight dinner that will satisfy everyone. It can also easily be frozen so it’s a great make-ahead meal for all of you meal preppers.
I must admit – I’m late to the slow cooker game. We got this awesome clay pot slow cooker for a wedding gift and I’ve been using it one to two times a week since! It makes dinners so easy, and I’m all about easy these days since I’m weeks away from giving birth. It also doesn’t leach any weird chemicals into our foods like a lot of the plastic ones do.
My 2 Bean Chili recipe is one of the most popular recipes on the blog. Not to mention in my house as well, so I thought I should give it a try in the slow cooker because that would make it an even easier chili! Side note: If you don’t have a slow cooker just follow this recipe. I’m happy to report it worked perfectly. I even came up with a few other ways you can make this chili quick – perfect for any night of the week.
If you don’t feel like chopping up all the veggies you can use frozen. It works just as well. Also, feel free to use your favorite beans. I like using kidney and pinto because they are really hearty, but black or white beans work well too. You could even sub lentils.
Legumes are something that I recommend everyone eat each day as they’ve been shown to promote longevity, help stabilize blood sugar (so they are great for diabetics), and slow skin aging and wrinkling!
I love topping it with cilantro, avocado, or cashew sour cream. For the cashew sour cream – in a high speed blender, combine 1 cup of cashews (soaked), juice from 1/2 a lemon, 1/2 cup water, 1 tsp apple cider vinegar and salt to taste. Blend it all together and then let sit in fridge for 30 minutes or longer to thicken. If you have a high speed blender you will only need to soak the cashews for 15-30 minutes. If it’s not a Vitamix or other comparable blender, I recommend soaking the cashews for at least 2 hours.
This chili is not only flavorful, but contains a wealth of nutrients. When you’re eating this you are not only making tastes buds happy, but you are doing a lot of good for your health and body!
Simple and Hearty Veggie & Bean Chili
- 15 oz 1 can Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz 1 can Pinto Beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 oz Mushrooms chopped (I used baby bellas)
- 1 cup Vegetable Broth
- 1 Yellow Onion chopped
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 small Jalapeño seeded and diced
- 1 cup Celery diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper chopped
- 28 oz 2 cans Diced Tomatoes
- 6 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 tbsp Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 1½ tsp Oregano
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Dash cayenne pepper optional
- Avocado diced
- Cashew Sour Cream
- In a slow cooker add all the ingredients. I like to add the vegetable broth first then seasonings and then the vegetables and beans.
- Cook on medium to high heat for one to two hours.
- Top with cilantro, avocado or cashew sour cream.
- **Note: If you do not have a slow cooker check the blog post above for the recipe to make it in one pot.
- ****Note: To save more time you can also sub precut, frozen veggies. Read in post above.