I like to keep my recipes interesting and that’s exactly what I did with these scrumptious Dragon Fruit Chia Cream Parfaits. They’re the perfect balance of fruity, sweet and nutritious. It’s a superfood dessert and can be used as a healthier alternative for a dessert cream. You can use this sweet cream in a parfait cup or wrap it up like a cannoli. It’s enjoyable anytime of day, even breakfast. I like to freeze them and make them into cheesecakes too. This dairy-free treat is easy to make and great to serve at parties. No one will know it’s actually healthy.
For those of you who don’t know, Dragon Fruit is packed with antioxidants, protein and omega-3’s which is great for good brain health. It also has vitamins B & C and loads of cancer-fighting nutrients! It’s something to think about adding into your diet and what better way to consume it then a tasty treat. It’s not hard to get kids to eat either especially with the bright pink color.
You might not find Dragon Fruit in your average grocery store, but at Asian markets and health food stores. You can get dried Dragon Fruit online, which keeps for a long time unlike the fresh piece of fruit. That’s what I used in this recipe as it’s easier and faster to work with as well.
This dessert cream’s base is tofu, but trust me, you nor the people you serve will have any idea. I did this one at my Whole Foods cooking class and they were all shocked! The crust is just two ingredients or you could also use the crust recipe from Chocolate Cream Cheesecakes.
Dragonfruit Chia Cream Parfait
- Press tofu for 20 minutes to get out the extra water
- Make the crust by putting rice crisp cereal and coconut sugar in food processor and pulse until they're mixed together. Set aside
- Put tofu in food processor and pulse to break it up
- Add dragon fruit and blend together with tofu
- Then add coconut sugar, strawberries, vanilla and lemon zest and blend until everything is combined (this could take a few minutes depending on food processor)
- Add chia seeds and blend again
- Let filling sit for at least 30 minutes in the fridge
- Pour some of the crust mix in a glass. Then add the cream mixture and top with more crust, chocolate chips or coconut shreds
BENEFITS OF THIS RECIPE:
- Great source of protein
- Low Glycemic so it won’t spike your blood sugar
- Promotes good brain health
- Filled with antioxidants and cancer-fighting properties
- Boosts immune system
- Improves circulation and helps lower cholesterol