There's an old tradition in the south that if you eat black-eyed peas on New Year's Day it will bring you good luck for that year. After 2020, I think we could all use some good luck for 2021!
Whether you're a fan of black-eyed peas or not this quinoa salad is full of flavor and nutrients. So, even if it doesn't bring you all the luck you need, it's packed with plant-protein, fiber and other vitamins and minerals!
You can eat this as is or put it on top of a bed of leafy greens or even eat it with some chips!
It can also be customized to your liking… not a fan of onions, leave them out. Add in other veggies you like and you can even sub the black-eyed peas for another legume like black beans or lentils.
It's a great recipe for meal prepping as it will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days!
Black-Eyed Pea Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup Cooked Quinoa (cook according to package)
- 1 (15 oz) can Black-Eyed Peas (drained and rinsed)
- ½ cup Onions (chopped)
- ½ cup Red Peppers (chopped)
- ½ cup Cherry Tomatoes (chopped)
- 2 tbsp Cilantro (chopped)
- 2 tbsp Jalapeño (chopped)
- 2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar (can also used Apple Cider Vinegar)
- 1-2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ tsp Cumin
- ¼-½ tsp Salt (optional)
- Add all the ingredients to a large bowl and toss together. Taste to see if you need to adjust the seasonings or dressing at all. Serve as is or on top of bed of leafy greens. It also works as dip for chips!