Soups have been my go-to meals lately because they’re easy to make and they fill you up! I like to make them from scratch because… Well have you ever looked at the ingredients on the back of a soup can? Even the organic ones can have some ingredients in there (like sugar) that are not the best for your health. This Golden Bell Pepper soup recipe comes from my friend, Amie Valpone’s new cookbook, Eating Clean: The 21-Day Plan to Detox, Fight Inflammation, and Reset Your Body
On Amie’s blog she shares her decade-long struggle with her health and how she was able to reclaim her life through diet and lifestyle changes. Since I’ve been stricter with my diet due to my recent diagnosis, recipes like this one have helped me not get bored with what I’m eating. This book is filled with recipes that are good for detoxing, hormone balancing and overall good health.
EATING CLEAN is the complete guide to cleaner living, and it includes a 21-day Elimination Diet, a 2-week detox meal plan, more than 200 amazing recipes and a guide to cleaning up your home environment for healthier living. Plus Amie shares her incredible journey of ridding her body of illness. You can pre-order her book online now. It will be available in stores nationwide on Tuesday, March 8th.
Note from Amie about this recipe:
Dipping your spoon into this bell pepper–sweet potato combo is like dipping into a bowl of sunshine. It’s stunning—and the perfect antidote to a gloomy winter’s day. This soup also freezes well, so if you’re not serving a crowd, store the leftovers for a later date (or make a double batch). I like to enjoy this soup accompanied by my Massaged Kale Salad with Spicy Hazelnut
Golden Bell Pepper Soup
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ small onion diced
- 2 medium carrots peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 8 yellow red and/or orange bell peppers, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and chopped
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 teaspoons finely chopped fresh marjoram or oregano
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Gluten-Free Herbed Croutons for garnish
- Sliced avocado for garnish; optional
- Finely chopped fresh cilantro for garnish; optional
- Drizzle Seriously Sensational Sriracha Sauce for garnish; optional
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, and a pinch of salt and black pepper. Cook until the vegetables are tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers and cook until soft, about 6 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes and broth. Season with salt and black pepper, cover the pot, and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and add the marjoram (or oregano). Simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Let the soup cool slightly, and then, in batches, transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. If needed, thin the soup with water. Adjust the seasoning with salt and black pepper if necessary. Return the soup to the pot to keep warm until serving.
- Serve garnished with the Herbed Croutons and, if desired, the avocado and cilantro on top and Seriously Sensational Sriracha Sauce on the side.
Text excerpted from EATING CLEAN, © 2016 by AMIE VALPONE. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved