This is a delicious dairy-free alternative to regular cheese dip. It’s made using only real food ingredients. You will be shocked how similar it tastes, but it’s so much better for you.
This dip is easier to digest, plus there’s added health benefits from the seasonings and other ingredients in this recipe.
The mushrooms are optional, but if you’re a lover of mushrooms, like myself, you’re going to want to add them in – so good! They give it more of a “meaty” and hearty texture, but it won’t change the recipe if you want to leave them out.
If you can’t do cashews, try out this cheese dip instead. It’s free of the top eight allergens.
MUSHROOMS "CHEESE" DIP
- If adding the mushrooms, sauté 4-6 ounces of mushrooms in a pan on the stove. Sauté the mushrooms for for about 5 minutes. You can use water, veggie broth or oil if you prefer. Then set them aside.
- For the cheese dip, in a high speed blender or food processor, blend together the first 6 ingredients with JUST the liquid from the can of diced tomatoes. Set the tomatoes aside.
- Once you have the creamy blend, pour in a bowl & mix in the canned tomatoes & mushroom.
- To heat, you can use a crockpot or on the stove pot over low-medium heat. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for 3-4 days in an air-tight container.
- If you have a high speed blender like a vitamix, you could get away with not soaking the cashews. If you don't have a high speed blender definitely soak the cashews. They can even be soaked overnight.
- For the diced tomatoes - I like the 365 organic brand at Whole Foods that also has jalapeño and cilantro in it. If you can't find that, just diced tomatoes works too. A 14 oz can will also work.
- The mushrooms can be left out! It will not change the recipe at all.
Recipe adapted from the Detoxinista