Dairy-free Mac and cheese that's actually good for you!! This one is made with healthy ingredients like cashews for the creaminess and nutritional yeast for the “cheesy' flavor.
I grew up eating the boxed Mac and cheese, but my mother had no idea how bad it actually was for me!
There were additives, preservatives, dried milk and fake dyes! All of these things cause lots of inflammation in the body and can lead to other health problems.
This Mac and cheese is so easy to make. You just throw all the ingredients in your blender and blend until smooth and creamy. If you don't have a high speed blender I do recommend soaking your cashews for 2 hours beforehand.
You can also use whatever kind of pasta you like. For a healthier alternative I suggest using a lentil or bean pasta. Red lentil pasta is my personal favorite and it ups the protein and fiber content of the meal! Some of them have 15+ grams of protein per serving. There's also protein in the cheese sauce from the cashews.
Cashew Mac and Cheese
- 3/4 cup Water
- 1¼ cup Cashews (raw unsalted, soaked*)
- 1/3 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1/2 tsp Ground Mustard (regular mustard will also work)
- 1/2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Lemon (just the juice)
- 1/4 tsp Tumeric Powder
- Black Pepper
- 8 oz Pasta (suggestions in the post)
- If you're not using a high speed blender like a Vitamix, I recommend soaking the cashews in a bowl of warm water for at least 2 hours beforehand. Drain them before you blend. Cook pasta according to the directions on the box. Add all the other ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Taste before pouring it on the pasta to see if you need to adjust any of the seasonings. Feel free to add in cooked veggies like broccoli to the pasta as well!