This is a healthy spin on the classic pasta salad dish. It's packed with flavorful vegetables, pasta and a light red wine vinegar herbed dressing.
One thing I love about making this dish is it makes great leftovers! If you're meal prepping make a big batch of this to eat on for a few days during the week.
It can also be customized to vegetables you have on hand, but I really love the combo I came up with here. If there's something in here you don't like, please leave it out!
Healthy Pasta Options
There's been healthier pasta options popping up on the market over the last 5 years so now we've got better choices!
Sticking with whole wheat pasta is a good option. Durum wheat pasta is high in iron and a healthy carbohydrate that can help boost energy levels.
If you're looking for a gluten-free option or one higher in protein and fiber I suggest using a bean or lentil pasta. Red lentil pasta is my favorite to use.
If you've been following this blog for a while you know that I eat mostly oil-free, but I did add a little to this dressing. I used extra virgin olive oil as that's the better oil choice if you're going to use an oil for dressing. If you're oil-free you can leave it out. It's also delicious on other salads!
Healthy Pasta Salad
- 8-10 oz Pasta (whichever you like best)
- 2/3 cup Tomatoes (halved)
- 1/2 cup Bell Peppers (chopped)
- 1/3 cup Onions (chopped)
- 1/4 cup Green Onions (chopped)
- 1/4 cup Sun Dried Tomatoes (chopped)
- 1/3 cup Pepperoncini (halved)
- 1/2 cup Dairy-Free Cheese (optional, I used KiteHill Almond Cheese)
- Cook your pasta according to package instuctions. While it's cooking make the dressing by adding all the ingredients to a bowl and mix together. Once the pasta is cooked, add all the salad ingredients to a bowl, pour the dressing on top and lightly mix together. Store in the refridgerator in an airtight container up to 5 days.