Creamy Red Sauce Pasta Skillet
This dairy-free pasta dish makes an easy weeknight meal that checks all the boxes. It's packed with plant-protein, healthy fats and veggies! Healthy comfort food that will please even picky eaters!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 1 3-4
- 8 oz Mushrooms (chopped finely)
- 2 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 2/3 cup Peppers (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups Broccoli or Cauliflower (chopped)
- 8 oz Your Favorite Pasta (see post for suggestions)
- 2 cups Marinara sauce (or any pasta/pizza sauce)
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Basil
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup Cashew (raw and soaked)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Lemon (just the juice)
First, soak your cashews for the cream sauce. You want to place the cashews in a bowl and fill it with warm water, covering the cashews. Then, set it aside. If you have a high speed blender, like a Vitamix, you do not need to soak them that long, maybe 15 minutes or so. If you don't have a high speed blender I recommend soaking for 2 hours.
First make your pasta according to the instructions it came with. After I drain the pasta, I put it back in the pot and fill with cold water to keep it from sticking while I get everything else ready. Once I'm ready to add the pasta, I strain it again.
Next in a large skillet over medium heat, sauté the mushrooms and garlic for about 2 minutes. Then add the peppers and broccoli (or cauliflower) sauté for another 5-7 minutes. This can be sautéed with oil or splashes of water.
Once the veggies are tender, turn the heat down to medium-low and add in the pasta sauce and cream sauce. Stir to combine. Then add the cooked pasta, stir again to combine. Allow the sauce to simmer, stirring occasionally, for a couple of minutes to allow the sauce to thicken and heat through. Serve immediately and enjoy! Leftovers can be stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator from 3-5 days
1. You can use other pasta sauce beside marinara. Thicker red sauces are better to use so it's not too runny. I even tried pizza sauce and it came out delicious.
2. Read last paragraph of blog post for tips.