Portobello mushrooms are a great meat substitute. It's healthier for you and they're packed with nutritious benefits that you won't find in your ordinary burger.
Mushrooms are one of the few natural sources of vitamin D. Plus contain vitamin B and fiber.
Studies have even shown eating one mushroom a day (even a small white button mushroom) helps to decrease risks of certain cancers.
This mushroom burger can be cooked on the stove or grill.
Having a good marinade is important to making the mushroom taste good.
I like to top it with this Feta. It not only bumps of the flavors but also the protein.
When I'm craving a hamburger at home this is one of my go-to recipes.
Mushroom and Tofu Feta Burger
- 2 Large portobello mushroom
- 1 tbsp Tamari
- 3 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tsp Rosemary (you can use other seasonings you prefer)
- 1/2 tbsp Olive Oil (optional, can omit if oil-free0
- Tofu Feta
- 4 slices Whole Wheat Bun (I like food for Ezkiel by life baking)
- Cashew Sour Cream
- In a large bowl mix together the balsamic vinegar, rosemary, tamari & olive oil. Then add the mushrooms and coat well with the marinade on both sides. Let sit for about 20min.
- Cook the mushrooms on medium heat in a skillet or on the grill for about 5 - 8 min on each side. When the mushrooms are finished cooking, place them on the buns. Add all of your favorite toppings and enjoy!